You might be eager like the rest of us to get outside and soak up the sun. Gyms and fitness classes are closed, but working out doesn’t have to be. You might find that you’ll appreciate the change of working outside with the sun and fresh air.
Outside exercise can boost your self-esteem, relieve tension, depression, and fatigue. The sunshine will give you much-needed vitamin D that we’re all lacking right now being indoors. Plus, sunlight stimulates melatonin production so you can sleep faster and deeper at night. Outdoor exercise is the perfect medicine for all your ailments right now.
We know starting a new workout routine can be hard, but if you’re overweight or obese it can be especially hard. Use our guide below to help you lose weight and change the way you feel about yourself and most importantly improve your health. Before you get started remember to start all your outdoor exercise with good stretches and a warm-up. Bring a towel, water and wear sunscreen. For extra motivation, involve the whole house.
Total Body Outdoor Workout Circuit
1. Side Leap
Targets: inner thighs, quads, calves, and glutes
- Stand with your feet together and bend your knees and hop to the right, landing on the ball of your right foot.
- Without putting your left food down, bend your right knee and hop far to the left.
Do 20 per side
2. Bench Dip
Targets triceps, shoulders, and core
- Sit on a bench or chair. Place your hands on either side of your hips.
- Slide your butt forward still supporting yourself with your hands.
- Bend elbows where your upper arms are parallel to the ground then return to starting positions.
Do 15 reps
3. Bench Push-ups
Targets chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, and core
- Face the bench or chair. Place hands on the seat then walk your feet behind your legs until fully extended.
- Bend your arms and lower chest toward the bench and push-up.
Do 12 reps
4. Tightrope Walk
Targets, calves, quads, and core
- Find a curb with a smooth surface
- Raise arms to a “T” position and walk across like a tightrope for at least 6 feet
- Tiptoe back.
Do for 3 minutes
5. Side Shuffle
Targets glutes, inner and outer thighs, quads
- Stand hip-distance apart. Bend your elbows with your fist near you ribs
- Take three huge steps right and slide your foot to meet the other one
- Bend knees and jump turning to face the opposite direction
- Repeat going to the left
Alternate sides for 1 minute
6. Side Steps
Targets core, obliques, glutes, upper back, and shoulders
- Face a long step or rock.
- Put your arms out like a “T” and bend elbows 90 degrees with palms facing forward
- Contract your abs while you bring your right knee up to your right elbow. Return to starting position
Do 12 per side
Targets quads, hamstrings, and glutes
- Find something flat like a rock. Step on it with your left foot and lift your left behind you.
- Step down and repeat on the opposite side.
- Next, repeat the same move but raise the right leg diagonally. Switch sides.
- Then, repeat the same move but kick the right food out. Switch sides
Do the this 26 times
8. Hanging Crunch
- Grab something sturdy with palms facing forward.
- Extend arms, breathe out as you bend your knees towards your abs
- Breathe in as you slowly release
Do 12 reps
Cardio Outdoor Exercise
You can also keep it simple with a towel and timer with a 10-15-20. For an extra challenge try to beat your best time.
- 10 Long Jumps
- 10 Push-ups
- 15 Sumo Squats
- 15 Burpees
- 20 Bicycle Crunches
- 20 Mountain Climbers
If you need more ideas to help with your weight loss, contact our office in Cary, NC. Our weight loss clinic can help keep you on track with personalized plans that will produce the best results for you. We are focused on how your weight can affect your total health and specialize in diabetes and pre-diabetes care as well as hypertension and pre-hypertension care. Both of which can also improve your heart health. If you’re ready to take charge of your health by getting to a healthy weight, call Total Healthcare MD at (919) 436-3777.