If you are one of the many American’s with a “sweet tooth”, Valentine’s Day is probably one holiday you look forward to each year. Valentine’s Day brings boxes of chocolate and sugar-packed boxes of candy hearts donning phrases such as “call me” and “looking good”. However, if you are on a weight loss plan, the last thing you need is the temptation of sweets lining the shelves. Even worse than the temptation is the realization that these treats don’t fit into your diet.
Well, who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too? Literally. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to become a day of dread without your favorite treats. Below are a few healthy alternatives and low calorie Valentine’s Day treats that will work for your diet.
1. Fruit dipped in Chocolate: This valentine’s snack is sure to cure your cravings. Dipping fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, cherries, and bananas in dark chocolate is not only delicious but has health benefits as well. Studies have shown that real dark chocolate can improve your health as well as lower your risk of heart disease. Benefits of dark chocolate include:
- Powerful source of antioxidants
- Very nutritious (packed full of fiber, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium)
- Potential to improve blood flow and lower blood pressure
- Been linked to raised HDL (good) cholesterol and a decrease in LDL (bad) cholesterol
- Long term benefits may include a lower risk of cardiovascular disease
- Skin protection from the sun
- Improved brain function
For these reasons and more, treating yourself to a lower calorie valentine’s treat such as chocolate covered fruit can be healthy. Try adding coconut flakes or nuts for extra flavor.
2. Cookies Baked With Heart-Healthy Ingredients: When baking, there are many substitutes that can be used in place of less healthy ingredients such as all purpose flour and sugar. In fact, baking with buckwheat flour and using buckwheat honey for sweetener is a great way to enjoy yummy cookies in a healthy manner. Instead of icing, try dipping your cookies in real dark chocolate to take advantage of the benefits above.
There a also a slew of non-bake cookies that trade in the sugar and flour for ingredients such as almonds, dates, and dark chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless.
3. Low Calorie Muffins: Muffins are a delightful treat, but often times the ingredients are not inline with healthy diets. Ideas for baking low calorie, healthy muffins include using coconut oil in replace of vegetable oil, Stevia pure cane sugar, greek yogurt, and fresh fruit, such as strawberries or blueberries. This valentine’s day, treat yourself and your valentine to a breakfast that is good for the heart, the waist, and the soul.
If you are ready to lose weight and make a positive lifestyle change, Total HealthcareMD can help. Our team is dedicated to helping patients achieve their weight loss goals through a variety of proven measures. For more information on how our program works, view our before and after gallery and learn more about our philosophy.
Ready to get in the best shape of your life?
If you are interested in weight loss management, Total HealthcareMD can help you set a customized plan. The highly trained medical staff at Total HealthcareMD will work closely with you to help you achieve the results you have always wanted.
Below is a list of some of the programs we offer at our weight loss clinic in Cary:
- Diet Plans
- Metabolic Testing
- Personalized Medical Weight Loss
- Physician Supervised Weight Loss
- Pregnancy Weight Management
- Prescription Weight Loss