It is no secret that children learn by example. The first time you let a curse word slip through your lips and then hear the same word come out the mouth of your 3 year old, you learn that lesson. That is why as parents, it is important to demonstrate healthy lifestyle habits. If you live a sedentary lifestyle, chances are your children will spend a lot of time with you on the sofa instead of outside being active. Same goes for your diet. If you eat a lot of fast food, your kids may become experts at ordering off the dollar menu.
Obesity in Kids
In America, one health problem on the rise is obesity in kids. Children can become obese for a variety of reasons, the most common being:
- Lack of physical activity
- Unhealthy eating patterns
The good news is that these factors can be controlled through healthy lifestyles. No matter the age of your children, it is never too soon or too late to implement lifestyle changes to avoid obesity.
It Starts With The Parents
As a parent, you are responsible for the well-being of your child. For this reason, it is important to encourage and promote healthy lifestyles and diets in your children without making it feel like a chore. Below are 4 useful tips to help combat obesity in kids. Keep in mind that healthy children turn into healthy adults.
4 Tips to Combat Obesity in Kids:
- Focus on Yourself. If you are overweight or obese, the best thing you can do for yourself and your children is to seek help with weight loss. If your children see that you are taking charge of your body, they will be more likely to do the same.
- Eat Healthy. Cooking in is usually a healthy alternative to dining out. Eliminating junk food in the house and cooking up healthy meals for the family is a great way to get the right foods in your children and even broaden their palate. Having your children help cook is a fun way to get them interested in healthy meals.
- Get Active as a Family. Another way to protect against obesity in kids is to get out and get active as a family. Instead of a Saturday movie, opt to go on a family hike or bike ride. There are so many great ways to get active around Cary, NC and throughout the Triangle, such as trampoline parks, swimming pools, and more.
- Turn off the TV. On average, children spend 4 hours or more in front of the television each day. That is 4 hours of time they could be outside playing tag, throwing a football, or even helping you with yard work. Say goodbye to technology and hello to cardio!
Make a Lifestyle Change with Total HealthcareMD
If you are ready to set a great example for your children but you are struggling with weight loss, we invite you to learn more about Total HealthcareMD. Our physician supervised weight loss program is tailored to fit your needs and your lifestyle. Learn more about our program and take advantage of our healthy recipes. While on our site, don’t forget to sign up for a complimentary weight loss consultation. Your children will thank you!