Halloween is such a fun time of year. Pumpkins and goblins decorate front porches, apple cider hits the shelves, and temperatures finally begins to cool. However, for those of you on a weight loss program, the dreaded “C” word may be haunting your Halloween thoughts. That’s right, we are talking candy. Everywhere you go candy is lining the aisles, filling your pantry, and trying to tempt you to break your weight loss program. As difficult as it can be, there are ways to avoid the temptation and stick to your nutrition plan. Below you will find a few healthy halloween candy tips to keep you from veering off the path to a healthier you.
Healthy Halloween Tips:
- Don’t buy candy you like: If you dangle a treat in front of the nose of a dog, they are going to bite. The same goes for humans. Therefore, the easiest way to avoid temptation is to eliminate it altogether. When choosing candy for Halloween night, opt for something you don’t enjoy as much. If you have a weakness for chocolate, purchase a fruity candy, or vice versa. If you fill a bowl with your favorite treat, it is going to take that much more willpower to stop yourself from having one (or ten!).
- Wait until the last minute to buy candy: Along the same lines as above, the longer you wait to purchase candy, the less time you have to be tempted by its presence. Even if your children are begging you let them stock up early, use your willpower to keep the house candy-free as long as possible.
- Opt for homemade: With so many children suffering from food allergies and gluten intolerances, opting to make your Halloween treats may be the way to go. At the very least, it could be a fun weekend activity to do with the kids while curbing candy cravings. Ideas include homemade caramel or candy apples and bags of flavored popcorns. The possibilities are endless!
- Water and exercise: Water and exercise have both been known to curb cravings. Before venturing out to a Halloween bash, try getting in a good workout followed by a high fiber, protein rich snack. This will aid in curbing cravings and keeping you away from the sweet treats. Additionally, it is common to mistake hunger cures for thirst, so keep up your water intake and you may be less likely to splurge.
Halloween is the first of many food-related holidays on the horizon. Don’t stress. You have the willpower to make it through the holidays without breaking your diet and still enjoying yourself in the process.
Total HealthcareMD Can Help
You don’t have to be alone on your weight loss journey. The professionals at Total HealthcareMD are available to provide you with accountability, customized nutrition and exercise plans, physician supervised support, and much more. Additionally, Total HealthcareMD accepts most major insurance plans, making weight loss affordable.
Below is a list of some of the programs we offer at our weight loss clinic in Cary:
- Diet Plans
- Metabolic Testing
- Personalized Medical Weight Loss
- Physician Supervised Weight Loss
- Pregnancy Weight Management
- Prescription Weight Loss