It’s no secret that sugar cravings can sabotage your weight loss goals if you let them. And we also know that restrictive fad diets are difficult to sustain for the long-term and are likely to lead to periods of binge eating.
Although Total HealthcareMD is a physician-supervised medical weight loss and wellness center, our goal isn’t just to help you lose weight. We are focused on your total health and part of that is helping you understand nutrition and the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices. So, the next time a craving strikes, don’t deprive yourself. Instead, enjoy one of these guilt-free snacks to satisfy your sweet tooth.
If You’re Craving Chocolate
Instead of grabbing that candy bar that seems to have your name on it at the grocery store checkout line, opt for dark chocolate with at least 70% cacao. Not only will this help curb your craving, but it’s packed with anti-oxidants. Here are some other good options:
- Chocolate Fudge Brownies: These chocolatey, fudgy brownies contain an entire serving of vegetables. They are also high in fiber and Vitamin C, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, vegan, low in sugar (or sugar-free), and even offer Omega 3s. Get the recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie.
- Dark Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates: Is there any better combo than chocolate and peanut butter? Made with just four ingredients, this guilt-free snack is a great alternative to traditional peanut butter cups. They have zero added sugar and are full of protein, fiber and healthy antioxidants. Get the recipe from Half Baked Harvest.
If You’re Craving Ice Cream
The options are pretty endless when it comes to healthier ice cream alternatives. Our favorite is using a frozen, ripe banana as the base to create whatever combo you’re in the mood for. Here are a couple of our favorites:
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream: Combine frozen bananas, cocoa powder, peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter), and a splash of milk (any kind!) in your blender or food processor. That’s it! It doesn’t get much easier than that. Get the recipe from The Endless Meal.
- Strawberry Banana Ice Cream: Any time we have some extra fruit, we like to freeze it before it goes to waste. They’re great to throw into smoothies or to make this two-ingredient strawberry banana ice cream. Get the recipe from Not Enough Cinnamon.
If You’re Craving Cheesecake
Skip the traditional cheesecake with cream cheese and added sugar, and opt for one of these instead. We promise you won’t even miss it.
- Raspberry, Lime and Coconut Cheesecake: A bright and fresh-tasting raspberry, lime and coconut allergy-friendly vegan cheesecake on a raw seed and cacao base. Get the recipe from Quite Good Food.
- Healthy Cheesecake with Oat Crust: Made with cottage cheese, vanilla and a bit of honey, this delicious cheesecake is loaded with protein. For added flavor, top it with your favorite fruit or a handful of dark chocolate chips. Get the recipe from Beauty Bites.
Remember, there’s no need to feel shame or guilt for wanting a little sweet treat. You can satisfy your craving while still making smart choices that will bring you closer to your weight loss goal. Fad diets that leave you feeling deprived may yield short-term results, but aren’t sustainable and in many cases can actually be damaging to your health. Call us at (919) 436-3777 to get started with a 90-minute consultation with our medical professionals and registered dietician.