When you are living with diabetes, having a weight loss plan is an important part of staying healthy and controlling your insulin levels. However, not all diabetics have the same dietary restrictions, so it is important to talk to a professional that can aid you in creating a weight loss plan for diabetics. Once the weight loss plan is set, it is even more important to stick to the plan.
When cooking at home it is easy to control portion size, eat clean, and limit your intake of certain foods. However, when you dine in a restaurant, finding foods that are approved for your weight loss program can be tricky. However, it is not always feasible to avoid dining out. Whether you are traveling, entertaining business clients, or out for a night on the town, eating out is a part of everyday life.
Choosing a Suitable Restaurant
When you are following a diabetes weight loss program, choosing a restaurant that best fits your dietary needs is the first step in eating healthy. When picking a dining establishment, consider the following factors:
- Does the restaurant serve healthy meals? If you have the choice between a fried seafood establishment and a burger joint be sure to consider what alternate items are available on the menu.
- Are you able to customize your meal? Some restaurants have the food prepped ahead of time and are not able to make substitutions when it comes to ingredients. Calling ahead is a great way to ensure your dietary needs can be met.
- Does the restaurant charge a fee for meal substitutions or splitting a plate? If so, you may want to chose a place that is more accommodating to your weight loss plan.
If you are following a weight loss plan for diabetes, implementing these simple suggestions can go a long way in helping you keep the weight off while still enjoying a meal away from home:
- Ask for dressings and sauces on the side.
- Try to limit portion size by sharing with companions or placing half of your meal in a to-go box before the meal begins.
- Avoid foods that have been breaded or fried.
- Ask the server to not bring bread to the table.
- Ask that no salt to be added to your meal during cooking.
Start your Diabetic Weight Loss Plan Today at Total HealthcareMD
If you are living with diabetes and would like to speak with a medical professional about a diabetes weight loss program, Total HealthcareMD can help. Total HealthcareMD has a highly trained staff of medical professionals ready to work one on one to create a custom weight loss program just for you.
Below is a list of some of the programs we offer at our weight loss clinic in Cary:
- Diet Plans
- Metabolic Testing
- Personalized Medical Weight Loss
- Physician Supervised Weight Loss
- Pregnancy Weight Management
- Prescription Weight Loss